6-year-old Wise Man Wants to Walk in the Shade : Chapter 9

 Chapter 9 - Maybe the world is targeting me?

I was alone with Princess Clarice in the reception room.

How much time had passed?

I was still in her arms.

I waited until her crying had subsided and called out to her.

"Have you calmed down, Princess?"

"I, how embarrassing..."

I hastily released her, and Princess Clarice took a deep breath while wiping the tear marks from her cheek with her fingertips.

Her nose was still red, but I was glad that her tears had stopped.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone that you were crying."

"Hehe. Thank you."

The princess narrowed her eyes and laughed a little mischievously.

She looked quite young with this expression.

What an unbecoming thought for a 6-year-old.

"You are already a fine gentleman at such a young age. Moreover, you are the savior foretold in prophecy. I pay my respects to you too. Mr. Eddie -- No, Lady Eddie."

I was surprised when she suddenly called me by my title of honor.

The childishness from before disappeared from the princess's face, and a dignified aura took over.

It wasn't the kind of expression you'd expect from a mere six-year-old.

She looked at me as an equal, or rather, as if she was filled with envy towards someone she respected.

Hmm, this isn't good...

Just as I was getting more cautious, my parents came back to check on me.

Thank goodness, they're lucky.

I'll act like a child and hide behind my parents.

I was about to run away, but...

"Lady Eddie."

"Waah."

Princess Clarice gripped my right hand tightly and wouldn't let me go.

"Eddie-sama, I have an important question for you."

"...What is it, Princess?"

"You don't want the honor or status of being the savior. Isn't that right?"

I nodded in response to his question.

"Yeah. I want to continue living the way I have been! School starts next month, after all."

Hearing my answer, Princess Clarice closed her eyes as if to make up her mind.

"I understand your feelings. But, Eddie-sama, please be careful. Our country is not the only one that has noticed that the savior is here."

...Well, that's true.

"It's not hard to imagine that other countries will come to rely on your power in the future. Eddie-sama's power is so great that it can decide not only the fate of a country, but even the future of the world."

"But...Eddie-sama is only six years old..."

My parents rushed over to me in a panic.

"Even if there is a great prophet, they will not know that Eddie is the savior. But we can pinpoint where he is. Like our country. If Eddie does not want to be the center of attention, our country will do everything in our power to protect him."

I was now facing the gazes of Princess Clarice, my father, and my mother.

"Thank you, Princess. But I'll be fine."

"Eddie..."


I have no intention of accepting the protection of the state.

Even though my status is low, I don't feel like I could lose to most enemies.

I don't want to be in a situation where I owe my country anything.

I want to live this life freely and peacefully.

This is something I want to prioritize more than anything...even more than my own life.

"Well, if I go to the princess's country, I won't be able to go to school, right? And if I suddenly go there, the people at the castle will be surprised. They'll ask why there's a child here."

"...Yes. I agree. You're right."

I was surprised that Princess Clarice readily accepted my argument.

She must have come all the way here to protect me.

Even though she'd lost her own knight as a result.

"Do I have to go?"

"How can I do something that would upset Eddie, who has done me so much good?"

"But that's why the princess came here..."

"I'll persuade my father. But Eddie, what about you..."

I smiled.

"It's okay! I'm going to school!"

"...I see! Once I get into the academy dormitory..."

I nodded at my father's words.

"If all you know is the location, then you can just run away to a different place."

The family members looked at each other.

They looked as if they were wondering if that was really okay.

But somewhere deep down, everyone was also thinking nonchalantly.

I was only doing it because my son asked me to keep it a secret, but the fact that I have such great powers isn't something my family wanted to hide at all costs.

Well, it's better if they just kept it that casual.

I like how easygoing my family is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dungeon + Harlem + Master: Chapter 1 - Summon a brave man full of mistakes

Dungeon + Harem + Master: Chapter 6 - "Forget-me-nots have fallen"

Soda ☆ Sis: Chapter 0 - Angels' slight sleep